Hello and Welcome to my Sama-Sama-Blog!

This blog started in 2007 because I wanted to share my work on the internet to make friends, share useful comments and improve my skills in Illustration and design.

Making this blog has been a great way of getting in contact with other people with the same interest as me, and to force myself to keep working and getting better everyday!

So, what started as a design and illustration site, has now evolved including 3D and computer graphics, and experiments mixing all the techniques I have learned so far.

Nowadays this blog is like my working diary. I will continue updating my works, and sharing them with you to share comments and critics, and expand our knowledge and contacts.

Feel free to comment and contact me if you have any suggestion or interest about this works!

Monday, August 5, 2013

Loyd - Zbrush Poly Painted Skin

Today I update with a screenshot of the character's polypainted skin. 
I painted the skin inside Zbrush, using polypaint, custom alphas, textures and photo references.

To get the final result I painted 3 maps: The back scattered map: lowest layer of muscle and fatty tissue, the subdermal map where the moles, capilars and veins are found, and the epidermis. 

For the lower layer I hand painted each muscle, which btw was a great exercise to remember how they are distributed, and added details such as the tendons and major veins.

In the second layer I added the capilars and color variation of the skin, and the third layer had the skin details such as hair, moles and wrinkles.

I combined all this maps with different blending options, to get a good skin map to be used without SSS material. The other maps will the used at render time to get the best possible results with Mental Ray, but that will be in future posts.

Finally, a trick i used to add more detail to the texture, was getting a AO map and the disparity map, and blend them with the skin map, adding to the skin map the details of the skin I modeled at the highest subdivision level with alphas.
I also added eyelashes and eyebrows made by Zbrush's new feature FiberMesh.

The final result of tha Skin map using the BPR in ZBrush was this:


5 comments :

Unknown said...

Wow you have talent!! Bat whats the difference between maya and zbrush?

Sama-Sama-Blog said...

Thanks Marco :)

The difference is that Maya is a very complex program, that can be used for many things, such as poly modeling, rendering with amazing and powerful renders such as Mental Ray or VRay, also for animation, etc...

ZBrush started as a organic modeling software. It was supposed to be a digital way of modeling with clay, like in fine arts but inside the computer.

After so many years, it has evolved, and now you can make animations and very good renders as well...

I guess the choice depends on what are you looking for: Is it animation? Is it video games? Is it illustration?

In any case, learning both programs is the best option, since many professionals in the industry work using both.

Unknown said...

I want to make the animation, and for that I m studying maya :) First I have to learn to model and the u.v map i started for a month (sorry for my bad english)

Sama-Sama-Blog said...

Oh, them Maya is the way to go! ;)
I find UV mapping a very difficult thing, so I usually use ZBrush's UV Master because it is super easy.

Unknown said...

ok thanks for the answer!!

Help us Create!

We are currently working on our first professional product, with the code name "Project Abyssmo". Really soon will need a hand with the funding and when the time is right we will start a project in Kickstarter and other fund raising websites.

But if you are feeling generous and would like to help us now you can always make a donation - big or small - and we will make sure to put the money to great use, develop the most amazing projects we can, and we will be eternally grateful to you!

To make a donation, just click in the following Paypal button:

PayPal. La forma rápida y segura de pagar en Internet.